Out of town now, which always puts me in this very detached mood. I lose touch with current events, even those in my own life except in a sort of dreamy way, full of sense memory. It's strange how even though the internet is equally as accessible here (at my parents' house) as in my own, it doesn't call out to me. I hope everyone is enjoying the summer. It makes me feel bad sometimes when I see people preoccupied with "back-to-school" stuff at this time, when these can be the most lush, verdant, lyrical, ripe and overflowing days. Wally's been taking long naps and staying up late. Last night we ate outside at this great 1950's style roadside hot dog/grilled cheese/ ice cream kind of place. My father and I might land a big project soon, one that has been kind of a dream of ours for years in the field of minority education. We've worked on and off in that area together for over a decade, focused on college students. This one will cover the entire educational span from kindergarten through college graduation. My dad sees this work as kind of a tribute to the original Rachel, the one who took care of him in childhood after his father died and his mother went back to work. That Rachel for whom I was named never learned to read.

Comments

  1. thanks...it is. i like that tradition of naming kids after important people in your life. in the Jewish tradition you name for someone who has died, so naturally you never meet the person for whom you're named. but it really has a lot of meaning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I never knew the story of your name. what a touching story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's funny to think of knowing someone so long and never knowing the origin of something basic like that, and yet how or why would it really come up unless as part of a school project. I think it's always assumed to be Jewish in my case. The fact that this Rachel was a Southern Baptist always strikes me as funny.

      Delete
  3. I like the various ways you are experiencing and have herein conveyed life-time under the influence of something other than "the regular" ... and then the namesake sharing reveals that aspect yet again...a person who did not have the regular credentials but had the daily where withal and character to stand in a gap and do something of meaning and be remembered and honored with love. Such a interesting post from your "outpost."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. what a great comment Jeanette - thank you. just back after a few days fully off the grid...lots of thoughts about time, rhythms, repetition, and ritual...such a good point about Rachel (Walker, the first one) not having standard credentials for success but performing such an important task...having this legacy for our family

      Delete
  4. Wow, didn't know that about your namesake. And so excited for you and your dad about this potential project.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment